Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Slouching towards Bangkok to be born (via Berlin, Prague and London)

10.23pm, open mic night, Berlin. After a few standard acoustic guitar Indie wailers it’s time for some darkwave. A middle-aged man in an ill-fitting silver suit and a jumper. He plugs in his USB and the dissonant music washes out. Only he seems to keep his head above it, stalking the stage and navigating the arrhythmia with his guttural vocals. After an indefinitely long period of time the mercy rule is invoked. Another beer anyone?
Check point Charlie
As the musical disarray finished and the dog grew tired of chasing the cork that was being hurled around the bar for him, I met Rob and Morris. “So where are you from, Morris?”
“I’m a citizen of the world.”

In a black turtleneck with the sleeves rolled up to the elbow, just enough so as to reveal the encroaching tats creeping down his arms, he clearly aimed for an ex-con-Archer look. Balding, in a trench coat and sporting a van dyke, Rob had similar visions of toughness. “If I get in a fight, he’s got my back.”



Snowy Prague


I had the chance to meet again in Berlin Gizi and Alfie, a.k.a. Jizzo and Fonz from Sarajevo. Gizi thought it her duty to show me some authentic Berlin bars with her friend Nadine on a self-effacing pub crawl around Kreuzberg and via the alleged best hot chips in the vicinity. Served with hummus. 


Australia Day pre-drinks (and piss bottle)
Authentic Berlin bars are those which lack the pretentiousness that comes with trendiness—those which avoid the follies resultant from being swept up in a word benevolently offered to English by the Germans, zeitgeist.


In such bars when an old and corpulent man bent with age and life and with a silken silver mullet comes in offering his drawings for two euros, he is offered a beer, a cigarette and a place to sit, and in his time collects a few coins and might even sell a picture or two. Meanwhile, the place fills up around him with mismatched patrons and clouds of smoke. When the music hits a lull, the girl who has been notably enjoying and focused on it puts down her beer and goes up to help choose the next album to be played.



Alfie and her roommate Paula hosted me, and two other friends of hers, Anna and Daniel, to a conscientious vegetarian dinner before we decamped to the bar at which Gizi was working for discount beverages. Daniel is a graphic designer working on an elaborate book about trees which in Berlin—in true German style—are all individually numbered.



After spending the night before I was to leave watching Django Unchained at The International cinema, one apparently with a flavour of the old East and at which everyone rumbles into the unnumbered seats clutching bottles of beer and wine, I realised I hadn’t printed my bus ticket. So I hustled to Gizi’s bar to find a solution in a beer bottle. Thankfully the kindness of Germans extends to finishing their shift at 4am, waking at 6am, printing my ticket and then giving me directions on how to catch the two U-Bahn routes and bus required to make it to the bus depot in time for my 7am departure.




In Prague for the second time it was by some strange confluence of chance and the subconscious indicators that facilitate the semi-random picking of a hostel out of the endless options that I was at the same hostel at which I had stayed with Kip some three years or so prior. So I retraced our footsteps somewhat, reliving memories and revisiting the unceasing beauty of Prague, as well as a certain cathedral. All of this eventually became too much under the duress of dawdling tourists cramping my style, so I retired to a local eatery for some deep fried cheese and pork with three kinds of dumplings. Pretty much as listed, it is some rib-sticking food and all the more tasty for knowing how bad it is. Nursing the food induced euphoric semi-consciousness, I retired to the hostel’s satellite privileged TV to watch 6 hours of NFL. Bliss.


Snow-capped, Prague is even more picturesque. Through the lilting flurries I explored the New Town and for the first time had a chance to add my own input to Lennon’s Wall. At the hostel I met Daniel—an American living in Berlin, Alex—an Australian with a strange mutual friend, as well as Matt and Linda—a British-French couple. With such generous company the dangerously refreshing Czech brews were dispatched with abandon before Alex, Dan and I, along with Tomas the Argentinian, moseyed out to find something to do.




Sent to Harley’s for what promised to be “madness”, the craziest the night got was listening to our Argentinian friend’s tales of seducing both women and possible prostitutes, before the addling effects of marijuana and MDMA that coursed through his system caused him to sit back and complain of the elephants flying across the room.


For some days now I had been eyeing a roasted pork knee. Matt even remarked that he thought he recalled the first sentence he heard me speak to contain said animal joint. So Alex and I along with Dev—a British trader who’d quit it all to go travelling and volunteer, sought out some more traditional fare. Specifically the pork knee. Czech food is usually hearty, but weighing in at 1.4-1.8kg, the pork knee put to shame all comers. Nonetheless, it had its equal in my consuming pig lust.

Love from Prague
 Samuel the Portugese quad-lingual med student of three years and hostel bar degenerate of one sported a top-knot and promised to Alex, Dev and I a crazy night out. It was Wednesday—his payday and my last in Prague.




Suffice to say, come 9am we arrived back at the hostel having finished the night at a non-stop club where the refugees of the night slurred and stumbled and gyrated in defiance of the day with just enough time for me to shower and stuff most of my clothes into my bag before I followed Matt and Linda to the airport. As they went off to catch their flight to Lyon I negotiated the hour before I could check-in by passing out on a bench.


In one of the more unpleasant days of my travels I was then cramped into a Wizz Air seat too small for me to fit my legs behind, forcing me to swap so that I could extend them into the aisle whereupon I was woken from my dreamless unconscious by the attendants every time they wheeled by the trolley, only to pass out again within seconds before having the process repeated. Cold sweat and nausea.

Prague-crawling

 A two-hour bus ride to Victoria station and I was able to, after getting lost and having all my devices run out of power, find the casa of the one and only James “Burger” Roche, previously of MMU. Sainsbury’s pizza and beers the perfect way to wind down before I was soundly asleep on several couch cushions lined up on the floor into a makeshift bed.




The Burger, once a feature of my 4.30am Friday mornings where we would discuss various heady topics of worldly significance in the clarity of pre-dawn consciousness, as a white-collar man of means was to most appearances a reasonably well kept and shirt-wearing figure.


Having relocated to the UK to play rugby league in some new climes and more generally experience something different to the life fettered in Macquarie Fields, his appearance has changed somewhat. Now a man of casual physical labour, he met me with a beard of many weeks and in a tracksuit more worthy of a street slinking chav than the mighty Burger.


Pleasantly, his new found fondness for steel capped boots, carrying a spanner, and many layers of workmanly attire did little to disguise his unsavoury collection of bon mots and idioms that render his company most amusing.

1.4-1.8kg of pork knee
 My days in London were spent by and large preparing for the next two months in SE Asia, the process for which involved condensing my life into a much smaller bag for ease of transport and so I could store the trappings of my winter European life somewhere.




But there was also ‘Straya day with which to contend, and so the Burger and I arranged to meet up with our fellow deviant of Oktoberfest, Gaps, and slouched about the roof of Burger’s apartment block slugging beers and talking the usual rubbish. Gaps, at the robust height of maybe 5’9”, currently weighs 109kg and has the biggest upper body of any human I have seen in real life.


Next we entered the very appropriately named Inferno. Powered by atrocious music and with the worst kind of patron, with every bead of sweat that met my brow I was more and more aware of the parallels between this and divine punishment.

Man lunch with the disheveled Burger

So Burger and I left not long into the morning, ordering eight chicken wraps and eating them with surprising dignity in the back of a black cab as the driver rattled on inanely in a quintessential cabbie manner.

Blessed relief in the UK, although exclusively courtesy of the presence of the expat Australian and New Zealand community, is the availability of quality coffee. On this vital pillar of civil society was established the order of every morning. Fuelled by such sweet bean, on my last day in London before my flight the Burger and I had a celebratory lunch of manly meat at a Turkish restaurant. I had spent the morning discussing plans and booking a flight from Bangkok to Ho Chi Minh city to meet Jess in a couple of weeks.


Little did I know that this footnote of my morning would turn out to be most significant as when I arrived at the airport with a one-way booking to Bangkok, the essentialness of my booking was emphasised by the man at the check-in desk as he requested to see booking evidence of my eventual departure before he’d allow me to check in.

The hostess said “Namaste” as I boarded the plane.

I didn’t recognise the side dishes to what I was eating.

The man next to me was both watching and enjoying a Bollywood movie.

In transit in Delhi I impatiently awaited the wet, warm air.


No comments:

Post a Comment